Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Importance of Good Health

I learnt something phenomenal yet simple from my father-in-law. At 79, he is very active and very independent, going about his daily routine as if he was just a teenager, just as old as my children.

One day, a visitor to our home asked him,"How do you keep so hale and healthy?".
"You see," replied my father-in-law,"I follow a simple principle. This body has been loaned to me by the Good Lord. And it is my principle to return whatever__even a library book__has been borrowed in good condition. Hence I stay fit."

This is such a profound perspective. It clearly separates who we are from
the body that we journey with. And champions good living and good health. Leading our lives with such good principles makes life worth living and meaningful. The other way to awaken onself to good, intelligent living, is to look at this body as a good car that needs continuous maintenance and vigil to keep it in good running condition. If we can keep our car in good shape, can't we keep the priceless body we inhabit well toned and tuned to higher spiritual performance?

Learnings:
1. This body is not you. It is not yours.

2. You are only its current user.

3. Keep the body well-maintained and in good humor. It will reward you with a good, peaceful mind.

1 comment:

  1. Very true Avis. The time we realize your 1st two points....Life is worth living.

    ReplyDelete