Monday, December 22, 2008

A Prayer to the Universal Teacher


O! Teacher, as I awake and arise, teach me to be humble. Teach me to respect another life and to accept that just as I am entitled to my opinion, others are too. Teach me, O! Teacher, to contribute selflessly and without expectation. Teach me to forgive every act of unkindness and injustice to me. Teach me to forget and unlearn what may not be relevant as I journey along.

Teach me, O! Teacher, to conquer anger and to attain that state of ahimsa, when all violence inside me subsides and true love prevails. Teach me to avoid hatred and jealousy. Teach me to resist ruinous temptations and to employ discretion at times when I may waver. Teach me to soak in and converse with the silence that engulfs me and for me to discover the real me in it. Teach me to lead a life of action, to live in this world, skillfully and selflessly, and yet be above it.

Teach me, O! Teacher, to remain detached from the fruits of my actions, and to know that if the MOTIVE is PURE and the MEANS are CORRECT, in the end, it will all be fine, if I do my best and leave you the rest.

Teach me to remain ever grateful to you, O! Teacher, for this life and this experience.

The Learning:

Most of us pray without understanding the meaning of what or why we are praying and without knowing what we are praying for. This prayer, in English (because that is the most common language we have and know to converse with 'ourselves'), captures the essence of all my learning from all the scriptures, from all the faiths, around the world. It is easy to understand. And is a reminder of the purpose of our creation. Which is to learn to live. Intelligently and in gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment